Thursday, January 14, 2010

God time

Probably the most important thing I can do each day is spend time with God. I used to be really good at it and never thought I would ever fall out of the practice. I have though, sometimes since I got married and especially since having Ava. And it is so incredibly vitally important to pray for your spouse and your children. I know this. So I started up a prayer journal this summer, which has really helped. However, I have found myself lately treating it as something to cross off my list.

The other night I was thinking back to a time when I was in the middle of a difficult time and I couldn't see the other side of it, but I still knew that God was faithful. I knew that God was teaching me something through it. And He did. He taught me how to trust Him and to seek Him out. It really struck me how close I am to God when I go through trials, but once they are over I go on about my life. I realized that I treat Him like a genie. How do you abide so closely with God when you don't FEEL that urgent need? How do you come before God in reverance and love every single day in a groove and not make it a rut?

Here are a couple of thoughts I have had so far:

1. Remember the cross and your position to it.

Here is a verse from an amazing song that has been running through my head for a couple of days:

I once was lost in darkest night and thought I knew the way
The sin that promised joy and life had led me to the grave
I had no hope that You would own a rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first I would refuse You still

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ!
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life!

We can be the recipients of undeserved grace if we choose. As a former pastor of mine quoted "You contribute nothing to your salvation but your sin."

Our pastor's wife leads a book study that I go to on Tuesday. She is a wonderful lady, and whenever she talks about the Gospel you can see that she is continually broken by her sin and thankful to God for sending Jesus to die for that sin. That is a place I want to live my life.

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise"

Psalm 51:17

2. Even if you don't feel an urgent need for prayer in your own life, somebody else does.

I think it's really important to ask God to bring to mind other people who need prayer. I have a running list of people I pray for every time I journal, but at the end I try and listen and think about who else might need prayer.

Speaking of prayer, I'd better go journal!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this lately...spending too much time on blog-surfing and not enough on God-searching (His Word). Thanks for posting this important reminder. ~judi ;)

    the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'll take a comment with a side of comments!