Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Renew, Reuse, and Recycle.

Just a simple, frugal project to share today. Mr. Wonderful bought me a cardigan for Christmas a couple of years ago. I've always liked it, but one of the buttons fell off and broke. So I couldn't just re-attach it.
So I found some new ones at JoAnn's. They are the kind that sort of look like leather. Or wood. Or something. Anyway, I love 'em and it feels like a whole new sweater.
I just cut off the remaining buttons and replaced them with safety pins so I knew where to put the new ones, made sure they were big enough for the button holes, hand sewed them on and that was it. It's like recycling for your closet.

In fact, my mom did the same thing for my jacket last winter. My winter jacket has been with me since about 2002. It's a wool toggle coat from the LL Bean outlet store in ME. I was all ready to toss it out and get a new one when I realized that the ONLY thing wrong with it was that it needed to be cleaned professionally and it needed new cording to hold the toggles. It was a consumer wake-up call for sure. So I took it to the cleaners and Mom fixed the cording. Perfectly good coat. In fact I still love it.

Here is a really great post about converting your boot cut pants to skinny pants. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be a great way to use some of the pants I already have and update them. I'm trying to be hip by wearing skinny jeans, but now I'm confused by that beer commercial where they make fun of that guy who is wearing skinny jeans. Did the moment pass on that trend, or am I still with it? I'm just a stay-at-home-mom who is trying to be cool, people. Help me out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll take a comment with a side of comments!