Monday, November 22, 2010

Multitasking Princess Leia Buns

As you may remember from a recent post, our clan dressed up as Star Wars characters for Halloween. Cutest Yoda ever, right? Well when it came to the Princess Leia buns, I was stumped. I have short, blonde, curly hair. I had no idea what to do. But then I remember this post. SO cute. Oddly like Princess Leia buns...

After the big day, I just pinned one on my purse for a cute accent.
Plus it covers up a stain I was too lazy to try and get out. :0)

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sockin' it to Ya!

Ava is mobile in full-force now. We are used to the spills, slips and bumps that come with the territory. I realized, however, that most of her socks don't have "grippies" on the bottom. Maybe that's because she has tiny feet and most of her socks would fit a baby that can't even crawl yet. :0) So I remembered a tip I saw in Real Simple: use puffy paint! Remember? From the 80's?

Here is a picture of her new socks. (or "shaaaa!" in Ava-ese) I put cardboard inside the socks so the paint didn't leak through to the other side. It was pretty super easy. And Ava stays on her feet (a little bit) more. :0)

Friday, November 12, 2010

You "otto" do this project. Wah-wah.

FINALLY! I finished another long-standing project. Yay!

When I moved to Wisconsin to start teaching, I was really excited to outfit my very own apartment. It was the cutest apartment you've ever seen. I called it the Hobbit House. The tallest thing in the place was the refrigerator. I could reach everything! It was very exciting. (I am five feet tall :0)

I bought two of these slipcovered ottomans from Ikea. As you can see, with one wash they started to look a little like they were wearing "highwater" pants.

As I had been seeing a lot ruffles and pleats out in blogland, I was inspired to make those ottomans a little more ladylike (and cover up those legs!) Basically, I cut 4 1/2 inch strips of fabric, ironed them a 1/2 inch on either side, pinned them to the original slipcovers and sewed them around. On the first one I pleated it, ironed it and put some basting stiches in. On the second one I ended up just pleating it as I went a long and that was a LOT easier. I ironed it afterward.

I read a tutorial or two, but I ended up eyeballing the pleats. Its a nice little Ikea upgrade! I like 'em!

Linking up to:

The Shabby Chic Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

Monday, November 1, 2010

Autumn at Our House

Hard to believe it's November already! Here are a few snapshots of our fall season...

First haircut!

Happy Halloween!

Obi Wan, Leia, and Yoda :0)