Friday, January 21, 2011

Applique--the new love of my life!

Stitch-by Stitch: Project #2


Hopefully by making this look more official it'll keep me on track to keep with my sewing projects. I loved this project. Applique. I've always been kind of intimidated by it, especially the special fusible webbing you need (ps, don't get fusible interface. Not the same thing...). But it wasn't too hard to use. Also, I forgot to use stabilizer and it wasn't a big deal. At least not yet...:0)

Step 1: find a onesie or t-shirt to use
Step 2: google "bird template." Find one you like. I picked a bird because that's Ava's nickname :0)
Step 3: trace it right from the computer screen and cut it out.
Step 4: Stick it to the fusible webbing.(follow manufacturer's instructions)
Step 5: Cut out around it.
Step 6: Iron it on. Press the steam button a few times. Lift the iron off every once in awhile because you are afraid to burn it.
Step 7: Zig-zag stitch around your shape in a fun, contrasting color
Step 8: Draw little legs with a disappearing ink pen.
Step 9: Straight stitch on the lines you drew.
Step 10: cut out a wing from a different fabric (I used felt)
Step 11: Stick it on the fusible webbing and cut out around it.
Step 12: Press it
Step 13: I didn't stitch around the wing because I used felt, but you certainly could
Step 14: Freak out because I didn't prewash anything. D'oh!





So it might not hold up to the wash, but live and learn, right? Also, my sewing machine decided to throw in a few straight stitches with the zig zags. Does anyone know why that might be happening???


Aaaand, our photographer Ava's first picture:




What a talent!



3 comments:

  1. LOVE the bird design. I have a pile of onesies to finish for my sil's shower. This should be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for anything with a bird on it and this is no exception. Sooo stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete

I'll take a comment with a side of comments!