Friday, November 12, 2010

You "otto" do this project. Wah-wah.

FINALLY! I finished another long-standing project. Yay!


When I moved to Wisconsin to start teaching, I was really excited to outfit my very own apartment. It was the cutest apartment you've ever seen. I called it the Hobbit House. The tallest thing in the place was the refrigerator. I could reach everything! It was very exciting. (I am five feet tall :0)

I bought two of these slipcovered ottomans from Ikea. As you can see, with one wash they started to look a little like they were wearing "highwater" pants.



As I had been seeing a lot ruffles and pleats out in blogland, I was inspired to make those ottomans a little more ladylike (and cover up those legs!) Basically, I cut 4 1/2 inch strips of fabric, ironed them a 1/2 inch on either side, pinned them to the original slipcovers and sewed them around. On the first one I pleated it, ironed it and put some basting stiches in. On the second one I ended up just pleating it as I went a long and that was a LOT easier. I ironed it afterward.


I read a tutorial or two, but I ended up eyeballing the pleats. Its a nice little Ikea upgrade! I like 'em!


Linking up to:

The Shabby Chic Cottage

Miss Mustard Seed

4 comments:

  1. I liked them too at your house before I saw the blog! Thanks again for a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great fix...love the fabric (did you find it at ikea too?)
    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very clever of you! Those colors are so happy an upbeat.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Judi--the fabric is from Joanne's.

    ReplyDelete

I'll take a comment with a side of comments!